First page Back Continue Last page Summary Graphics
Evolution of Neutrino Characteristics
- Pauli predicted their existence to explain the beta decay spectrum (1930).
- Reines & Cowan observe the ne (1953).
Neutrinos come in different flavors
- Discovery of nm by Lederman, Schwartz, Steinberger, et al. (1962).
- Observation of nt by DONUT experiment at Fermilab (2000).
Neutrinos have mass
- Ray Davis detects solar neutrinos at Homestake and observes deficit in expected yield (1968).
- IMB and Kamiokande experiments detect atmospheric neutrinos and observe deficit (1985).
- Super-Kamiokande reports observation of neutrino oscillations establishing non-zero neutrino mass difference and perhaps accounting for neutrino deficits (1998).
- LSND, SNO, KamLAND, Super-Kamiokande provide latest neutrino oscillation measurements raising even more questions about the fundamental nature of neutrinos (1998-present).