Detector Civil Construction
You can follow the progress of the construction project for the MiniBooNE
detector in the following series of photographs.
- Phase I: Excavation for the detector
vault. Started 15-Oct-1999 ... Completed 17-Nov-1999.
- Phase II: Construction of the base slab
for the detector vault. Started 17-Nov-1999 ... Completed 11-Dec-1999.
- Phase III: Construction of the walls for
the detector vault. Started 11-Dec-1999 ... Completed 01-Mar-2000.
- Phase IV: Construction of the entrance
corridor and wing walls. Started 01-Mar-2000 ... Completed 17-Apr-2000
- Phase V: Construction of the steel tank.
Started 03-Apr-2000 ... Completed 03-Aug-2000
- Phase VI: Construction of the electronics
room. Started 23-May-2000 ... Completed 31-Aug-2000
- Phase VII: Mechanical and electrical
installation. Started 28-Aug-2000.
What exactly are we building here?
The detector construction project basically consists of building a 40 ft
diameter spherical steel tank in a cylindrical underground vault with an
electronics room above it. The electronics room will be accessed via a 20 ft
long entrance corridor and the whole construction will be covered with an earth
berm (pictured abaove). A smaller overflow tank will be housed in a vault
positioned under the entrance corridor. The following picture shows a cut-away
of the final arrangement.